Between 20% and 30% of Canadian seniors will fall every year. Such a high statistic can cause fear and worry about falling and what would happen if one fell. A medical alert system reduces the risk of a hospital stay and is an easy solution for minimizing the potential harm resulting from falls.
If you are considering a medical alert system, you may consult the questions below. If you answer “no” to any of the questions below, you may be at a higher risk of experiencing a fall.
- Do you get enough exercise? Doctors recommend seniors get about 150 minutes of exercise per week.
- Have you ensured your home is safe? Doctors recommend that seniors secure all rugs, cords, and loose ends in their home.
- Have both you and your doctor reviewed your medications? Some side effects of medication may make you more susceptible to a fall.
- Are your shoes safe? Make sure to buy shoes that fit properly, are non-slip, sturdy, and have a lower heel.
- Do you have good lighting? Better lighting in the house makes you less likely to fall when you are walking in darker areas.
- Do you think ahead? It is important to give yourself enough time to travel so you do not have to rush.
- Have you not fallen before? Those who have previously fallen have a higher risk of falling again than those who have not fallen before.
- Are you eating properly? It is important to get in all four food groups, having at least three balanced meals throughout the day. Good nutrition means higher energy and better bone density
- Are you getting all of your vitamins and minerals? It is important to make sure that all of your vitamin and mineral needs are being met. Consult your doctor to see if you could be taking additional supplements.
- Do you have a Bedford Medical Alert Pendant? Bedford Medical Alert ensures that in the case of an emergency or accident, someone is there to assist as soon as possible. Take time to review all of the products that Bedford Medical Alert offers.
For each of your “no” answers, your chance of experiencing a fall goes up. Consult your doctor to see if a Bedford Medical Alert pendant is the right choice for you. Remember, falls are preventable!